Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dr. Epstein's Thoughts on the Future of the Discipline and Feminism

When I asked Dr. Epstein about her thoughts on the future of the discipline and feminism, she stated:

I think Sociological Analayis is very important in the analysis of
society and must be included in all university curricula. As for feminism,
I am discouraged as I see young women uninterested in engaging in
collective activity to insure women's rights in employment; not
demanding government based and funded child care; and not fighting for
women's right to choose.

From reading her autobiographical essay, “Reflections with a Sociological Eye” I would say that her thoughts on the future of the discipline would also be to expand existing gender theories and apply these theories more often. I also think that she would be opposed to incorporating Sociology and Feminism in Women’s Studies because she feels that “the intellectual ghettoization that regulates women as a subject matter to fields labeled women’s studies (do we have class studies?) remains an intellectual disgrace” (Epstein 361). When I asked Dr. Epstein if she still felt this way about women’s studies, she stated, “Yes I do. I do not think they are well integrated in the disciplines and they tend to an essentialist perspective”. I also think that she would support more diligent activism because when I asked her what the slogan “the personal is political” meant to her, she stated “Because women's rights are integrated at the personal level in interaction with others we must remain viligant at what seems to be minor incursions of sexism”.

Information from "Personal Reflections with a Sociological Eye" by Cynthia Fuchs Epstein in Authors of Their Lives edited by Bennett M. Berger. 1990. Los Angeles: University of California Press, Ltd.

No comments: